Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Abie's Room Redo

I have never considered myself a decorator, so when my daughter asked for a room makeover for her 12th birthday, I wasn't so sure.  But, 12 is a big deal, right?  So we had to do something awesome!
Now when I say room makeover don't get too excited, I am not that ambitions, we didn't paint her walls, and we worked with a lot of what she already had in her room.
Here is what we did add, new bedding, curtains, a chair, some throw pillows, and we also put together a fun cork board for the wall.
So lets start with the bedding... we looked all over the Internet, but I didn't want to spend a lot.  Now get this, we found some bedding on Pottery Barn that she loved and it was on sale, so we were excited.  Just for kicks though we checked ebay, and guess what, there it was for less, and it was local,  so no shipping.  Double score!  The red pillow sham we found at a local outlet, it was perfect!  Lastly Abie found a pillow on Etsy that she loved, so, with the help of Fabulous Jen, from tatertots and jello, we recreated the "smile" pillow.



The chair is from IKEA and I already had it somewhere else in the house, but we weren't really using it so it was perfect to put in Abies room.


Now for the drapes~ these may be my favorite thing I did.  Abies windows are so great, she has some of the best views in the house, they definitely needed some special treatment. 



So off to Target I went. they had a perfect red panel curtain that I loved and for only $7.99, and I needed two, not too bad right?  But as I was heading out of the domestics section I saw some flat sheets on clearance, they were the perfect red and only $3.89, plus with a little sewing I could use one sheet for both of the curtain panels, yay!


I am super pleased with how I hung them up!  {maybe I will do a post on it later}

Next up is the Cork board for her wall.  I picked up cork squares from Hobby Lobby and some coordinating fabric, to cover some of the squares.  Abie picked out some fun buttons and flowers to make some fun tacks.  I think that it turned out Awesome!


Now here are some photos of the room completely finished.  Notice the beautiful nightstand, it was a birthday gift to Abie from her Grandma.








That is pretty much it.  Thanks for sticking with me through this marathon post.  What do you think?  I think that it turned out Awesome, which is important, becuase Abie is so Awesome.

Happy Birthday Sweet Pea!

who knows, maybe there is a little decorator in me after all?

20 comments:

  1. That looks great. I love the desk chair and the squares you put together above the desk. Looks darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so great Sarah! Those drapes are wonderful. You did a fantastic job!!! It is all so pretty! I am sure Abie just loves it!

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty room! i love the bed spread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ever since i saw that bedding on pb months ago, i have loved it! so lovely :) thanks for stopping by a little lovely and inviting me to your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah its beautiful! It all looks so grown up. Happy Birthday Abigail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swooning over those "sheet" drapes and those views!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a grown up room! I cannot believe how big your kids are getting. The room is darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out super cute! Lucky girl :)

    ashley
    www.littlemissmomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooooooooo cute! I LOVE that comforter! Thanks for taking a look at my blog! I am now your newest follower too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments! I will be following you too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Yes - we live near each other. I'm assuming from your URL you live in Alpine? We're in Holladay. Darling room! Fun fall traditions, and it appears you are a woman of many talents. I also love that you seem to spend your time on things you love. I look forward connecting again in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun makeover! I do love the smile pillow and all of the fun bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo!
    What a fun post!
    And what a lucky girl :)
    Thanks for heading over and sharing this with me tonight!

    Keep up the great work!
    ~Shelley Smith
    houseofsmiths.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lucky girl! I like the way you hung the curtains....very cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah, I love your daughter's room makeover. I remember my Mom letting me do the same thing when I was about your daughter's age and I'll never forget it. I think anything done with that much love behind it is a beautiful thing. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing the makeover. My 6 year old wants a new room for Christmas, so you have given me a few ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. here room looks great!!! very whimsical!!!! Love her bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am stopping by because I don't have your email address but I MUST tell you that you NEED to get your very first pedicure! You have NO IDEA what you're missing--they are UH-MAZE-ING!

    Happy thanksgiving! And I am thankful for your sweet comments on LMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the bed spread you have on the bed, it is so bright and beautiful. What a great room. Thanks for stopping by, I am glad you enjoyed the awkward awesome post. And I love that you shared your awesome awkward too. Funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah-

    I just wanted to come by and tell you that I had a really great time meeting you and talking with you today.

    I love what you did to your little girl's room. I am looking forward to more posts now :) (recipes maybe...hint hint)

    Talk to you again (I hope)
    Jonie
    easyascutandpaste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete